Championships Organized by School and Season
Organized by School
(Sports totals are available from sports' pages below)
Organized by Season
New England and National Championships
Back to Boys Sports
Back to Girls Sports
Back to Boys Sports
Back to Girls Sports
Notes on High School Championships
1. Unless Specified, all champions are the winners of a postseason championship tournament and not the regular season. In the years that no postseason was held or teams could not compete in any postseason tournament/Championship, that divisions regular season champion will be listed as the division champion.
2. When Class B/Division II teams could compete for the State Championship, only the years when Class B/Division II held its own postseason tournament are those champions listed. In the years when there existed only one postseason tournament and B/II Teams were allowed to compete in it, the B/II regular season champions are not listed as the II/B Champions for those years. This also applies to ClassC/Division III and Class D/Division IV.
3. In 1993 Warren merged into Bristol High School and the school was renamed Mt. Hope. All championships won by Warren and Bristol are not included in any championship totals for Mt. Hope.
4. Even though postseason championships for Dvision II, III, etc. are considered "State" championships, for the purposes of this site, only the top divisional championship is labelled as "State" in order to differentiate it from the others.
5. The totals list of Division I/Class A (Non-State) championships only includes I/A titles won in years in which there also existed a separate tournament that was considered the top for its sport (State title). This means when a team wins a Division I championship that is considered the State championship for that sport (i.e. Gymnastics), that Division I championship is included under the totals section for State championships but not under the totals for Division I (Non-State) Championships.
(From 1932-1945 Boys Cross Country did not have a State championship meet, from 1932-33 to 1954-55 Boys Indoor Track did not have a State championship meet, and from 1933-1946 Boys Outdoor Track did not have a State championship meet so the Class A championships from those time periods are included in the State totals AND the Class A totals for those sports. However, the RI total team titles will only count that title once---i.e. if a team won the Class A title in a year when there was no State tournament, only 1 title would be added to their RI total team title and not 2.
6. If a postseason tournament is named after a geographical location (or are named after honorary figures or school size) instead of being named Class A/Division I (examples include Northern, Metropolitan, Suburban, Eastern, Large, Medium, Small, etc.) but its team composition is based on team strength (i.e. all of the sport's top teams are in one divisional tournament and a second tier in another) then those championships are considered to be the equivalent of State, Division I (Non-State), Division II (etc.) championships and are included in those totals.
If the postseason tournament's team composition is based solely on geography (or are named after honorary figures) instead of being named Class A/Division I and the sports' top teams are spread across multiple divisions/tournaments then they are not considered to be the equivalent of State, Division I (Non-State), Division II (etc.) championships and are not included in those totals.
7. The list of New England (http://www.rihssports.com/CHAMPIONSHIPS%20ORGANIZED/RI%20New%20England%20Championships.htm) and National championships (http://www.rihssports.com/CHAMPIONSHIPS%20ORGANIZED/RI%20National%20Championships.htm) won by Rhode Island schools may not be complete. The gaps from the list of Rhode Island individual and team champions are listed below. If you can assist in filling these gaps please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links for Current Standings, Scores and Schedules
For questions, comments, corrections, or suggestions relating to this site, please email:
NOTE: This web site and myself are not associated with the RIIL or any school; If you have any questions outside of the content of this site, please direct them to the appropriate contact information on the RIIL web site